Saturday, May 8, 2010

House of Himanchal

The first time I heard this story was from my father while we were sitting at the dining table. I was doing my Bachelor's from Christ Church College. What I find amusing is, that I also heard a similar version of this story when I was married and staying at my in-laws. Anyway, going back, my sister-in-law wanted to visit her parents after just returning from there, and that's why this story came up. Similarly in my case I wanted to go to a family wedding in which my parents were invited and the invitation was not to my husband and me directly. We did go eventually and nothing untoward happened. The question is not what happened, but there is something to be said about the principle.

Before jumping into the fire Sati prayed to Shri Hari for eternal love for her husband, Shiva in all her lives. For that reason she was born as Parvati ((Uma) in the house of Himanchal (the mountain king).

Since the time she was born, there was a lot of energy and prosperity in her father's house. Lot of Munis made their Ashrams (homes) and started living there. Beautiful flowers and trees started growing there, rivers had pure water and the birds, animals and beasts all lived happily together. The mountain range looked magnificent and lots of festivities started taking place there.

Narad Samachar Sab Paaye

Kautukahin Giri Geh Sidhaye.

When Narad Muni heard of the birth of Parvati he came to visit the King of the mountains, Himachal, who welcomed him very graciously. The king washed his feet and he along with his wife and children served him hand and foot. They brought the Baby Parvati and put her at his feet to be blessed.

As Narad Muni could see the past, present and future and also had the powers to be everywhere and can reach anywhere in no time. So Himanchal took this opportunity to ask Narad Muni to look into the baby's future and describe her attributes.

The Muni obliged and said what a sweet and well groomed girl Parvati would turn out to be. She would be also known as Uma, Ambika and Bhawani. Her husband as well as his love for her would be eternal and the parents of Parvati would gain fame because of her. The whole world would worship her and whoever would pray to her would have their wishes granted. She would be an icon for women.

However she would have a few flaws as well, so hear them too. She would not have many talents, she would live away from her parents for a long time and she would live with gay abandon. Not only that, the lines in her palm suggest that her husband would be disheveled, naked, with dreadlocks, all in all, not a pretty sight.

For Ram Rajya we need to follow Parvati's example of selfless love. JAI HO!

No comments:

Post a Comment