Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bharadwaj Muni's Dillemma

Today I will tell you how the enlightened Muni, Yagyavalk narrated the Ramayana to Bharadwaj Muni. Bharadwaj Muni had a beautiful ashram in Prayag (modern day Allahabad). All the great sages of the land used to come here during Kumbh Mela and also in the Hindu month of Magh to bathe in the Triveni (three rivers). Some of them stayed in the ashram. They would bathe in the morning and discuss the many attributes of Ram in the evenings. After a prolonged stay they would leave. One time the great Yagyavalk Muni went to visit Prayag and when the time came for him to leave, Bharadwaj Muni clung to his feet and would not let him go.Then, he washed his feet and made him sit on a beautiful aasan (mat). When he was comfortable Bharadwaj Muni addressed him very respectfully and said "Oh Lord, I have this nagging doubt in my head and I think that only you can erase it. You are the master of the Vedas and all knowledge is at your finger tips. But the only thing is, that I have great fear as well as embarrassment in asking this question. I am fearful, because you might think that I am testing you, and I feel embarrassed because I am so old and yet I do not know the answer. If I do not ask you then I will remain ignorant. It is said in the Vedas, that if you hide anything from your Guru, then you will not gain any knowledge. So please be kind to me and help me remove my doubt. The Vedas , Puranas, Upanishads have all sung praises of Ram. Shiva chants the name of Ram incessantly and in Kashi he gives this name to the dying so that they attain Moksha. So my question to you is this, who is that Ram? Then their is the Prince Ram whose father Dhashrath was the king of Ayodhya. Everybody knows that story, how he cried when Ravan grabbed Sita and then he went to Sri Lanka to kill him and get her back. Is it the same Ram or another one that Shiva prays to? Please, O Lord, help me get rid of my doubt and tell me whatever is the truth." Yagyavalk Muni smiled at this and said," You know the grace of Ram, you are his foremost bhakta(devotee). The only reason that you are asking me is because you want to hear the Ramayan.The same kind of doubt Parvati had, when she questioned Shiva. That is why he told her the Ramayan. So I will tell you too, listen intently. This Ramkatha is like the Goddess Kali. It will quell all your fears and ignorance. I will tell you the same story that Shiva told Parvati. That's all for today folks. Are we ready for the story, are we ready for Ram Rajya? JAI HO!

1 comment: